First Presbyterian Church
1328 Peachtree Street, NE Atlanta, GA  30309
404.892.8461     Email

Sermons in Stained Glass

Stained Glass Windows at First Presbyterian Church

First Presbyterian was founded in 1848 and had a succession of two sanctuaries on Marietta Street until 1915. The church then moved “way out” to 16th and Peachtree. The full sanctuary was dedicated in 1919. The architect provided a plan for a number of large windows “for light and ventilation”. The pastor, Dr. Lyons, developed a plan and designs for installation of stained glass windows. The ten windows around the floor of the sanctuary tell the story of the bible from Abraham to the spread of Christianity by the apostles after the crucifixion and resurrection.

The first six windows were executed by Tiffany, the next four by D’Ascenzo. There are a total of twenty windows in four locations. Seven windows are by Tiffany, four by D’Ascenzo, and nine by Willet.

Publications about the windows, our history, and other topics are available and expected to be on line soon. Please contact us for further information.

This site is funded and will be expanded through the benefit of contributions to the Sermons In Stained Glass fund at First Presbyterian Church. Please send contributions to the church at the address above. Contact us using the contact link above with questions, comments, or suggestions. Material on this site is the responsibility of Bill Lyons, grandson of Dr. Lyons.

 

Ten History Windows

There are twelve large windows in the sanctuary. Ten of these windows surround the floor of the sanctuary, five on each side. These represent ten events, or stories, from the history of the Bible. I have chosen to call these the Ten History Windows.

The first impression of each History window is of a scene representing a single, familiar, story.

Actually the structure of each window is very complex. The primary scene is composed of three windows (or panes) which together are referred to as a “trefoil”, or tripartite schema.

Above the trefoil are eight tall, slender panes (or windows) which appear similar in all ten windows but are distinctly different. We have adopted the term Octet, or the Mansions, for these panes.

Below the trefoil are three smaller windows, which we refer to as the Triplet. The center window of the Triplet contains a primary element which links each window to the previous window, or the time before.

Further below are two more small “windows”, referred to as the Pair. On one side of the sanctuary these are filled with stained glass and illuminated from outside as are the larger windows. On the other side, mosaics have been used to fill the spaces.

Click on each window below to read full description behind each one….

North Wall


Abrahamic Covenant

Law, Psalms, and Prophets

Advent


Jesus Ministry

Passion
 

 

South Wall

 

Resurrection

Ascension

Pentecost


Martyrs

Christian Missions

 


 

 

Contact
 

Home
Viewing the History Windows

Other Documents


 

North Wall

Abrahamic Covenant

Law, Psalms, & Prophets

Advent

Jesus Ministry

Passion

South Wall

Resurrection

Ascension

Pentecost

Martyrs

Christian Missions

Contact 
404.892.8461 

 First Presbyterian Church
1328 Peachtree Street, NE Atlanta, GA  30309